Employment Authorization Document for F-1 Students

On April 12, 2021, the USCIS released news that OPT (Optional Practical Training) F-1 students can apply for EAD (an employment authorization document or work permit). The following categories are eligible:

  • (c)(3)(A) – Pre-Completion OPT;
  • (c)(3)(B) – Post-Completion OPT; 
  • (c)(3)(C) – 24-Month Extension of OPT for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) students (https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/f-1-students-seeking-optional-practical-training-can-now-file-form-i-765-online).

This is a temporary work permit and available only for F-1 students. The work permit is valid for one year for pre- and post-completion studies, and two years – for STEM degrees. 

Only eligible F-1 students can submit their documents online to obtain the employment authorization document. If the applicant applies online under a different category, the USCIS can deny the application. The USCIS is working adding more categories in the future to apply online.

After the forms and fees are submitted, the applicant can monitor the status of the application, track the process, and verify all the information online. The applicant will need to create a personal account (it is absolutely free) and enter his/her personal information. After that, the USCIS will allow you to submit fees and documents. Make sure to review the correct fees and list of documents.

For informational use only. 

Photo by javier trueba

Join the Discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top